Thursday, April 28, 2011

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Delays, What's the Fuss?

I know many people are excited about the arrival of the X100 to the USA.  It has been a roller coaster of rumors and discussion and it looks like we will ship the cameras out today.  This is not 100% confirmed and I will update this later in the day when the trucks actually leave the warehouse.  I know folks have made comments about transparency and more communication - I am trying to do what I can as a small part of that for the few people who read this blog.  I don't feel a company must be transparent about all details of their operations.  Some details don't add anything constructive to the situation.  The time line was never set in stone and yes other parts of the world shipped limited amounts of cameras.  Our goal is to give our USA customers the best experience with their X100 in the world.  I am confident we will do that.

And today in my inbox I saw a great example of product delays.  10 months or so later Apple has an announcement - so we are way ahead of their schedule ;-).

**Update 12:50p - - Thank you for the responses to the X100 delay scenario.  I agree we could do a  better job communicating, but I am personally handcuffed since I am in sales not marketing.  My NYC dealers do know the scenario with the camera arrival and those reading this are being kept as up to date as possible.  More on deliveries later in the day.
This blog remember is a personal endeavor with company info as appropriate.  I have urged FNAC HQ to release more data and update the Facebook page more often (Fujifilm FinePix X100). 
The comments (section below) on the beautiful X100 custom site are great and appropriate ( http://www.finepix-x100.com/ ) - but alas that is not a USA controlled site and for those with large company experience - that means we don't necessarily have access to update country by country the shipping details.  So yes the ball is dropped - but luckily it's rubber and it bounces, and will be back up soon.
As for the comment about earthquake update - that is located in previous posts.  Here is some info relating to slower shipments to the USA from Japan:

4-21-11 - U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is monitoring developments in Japan carefully, specifically concentrating on the potential for radiation contamination of goods shipped to the U.S.  For shipments arriving via air, all airports have sensitive Radiation Isotope Identification Devices (RIIDs) to determine both the presence and type of radiation encountered.  At seaports, and at international mail and express consignment facilities, CBP continues to use sensitive, large-scale Radiation Portal Monitors (RPM) and scans all maritime cargo and express consignment and mail arriving from Japan.  CBP maintains similar procedures for identifying and resolving radiation alarms in these operations and will deny entry to contaminated cargo and mail.

5 comments:

  1. Yes and no. I have no problem with waiting, but it doesn't take much for a company to communicate with customers to keep them happy. I am in a marketing position myself and know this first hand. Fuji has the wonderful dedicated x100 website. A simple message on there saying "hey we know many of you are really looking forward to this but please bear with us because xyz" would have gone a long way in making potential customers happy. I personally know a number that cancelled pre-orders. I don't think they would have cancelled if there had been a tiny bit of effective official communication.

    Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just ready for this thing to hit. I have had my pre-order with Adorama for some time now.

    I love your blog btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:05 PM

    Brandon- any idea on the quantities? Do you think we are talking couple/few hundred cameras for each of the major resellers like amazon, precision, b&h, etc? Or more like 40-50 units? I'm wondering if the major stores will be able to fulfill most of their preorders. Thx for any info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandon:

    Really appreciate you taking the time to engage in conversation and providing updates. Fuji needs more people like you.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:08 PM

    Brandon,
    Keep up the great work.
    I realize quality takes time.
    Ken

    ReplyDelete

A Quick Look at the 1972 Hasselblad 500C/M

Just a few snaps of the awesome and durable 500C/M.