Monday, February 24, 2014

Off to See the Great Trees of Muir Woods


Once I arrived at Muir Woods I quickly realized there would need to be some serious HDR type exposures made in order to capture the deep shadows and bright highlights of the sky and wet leaves.
I fixed the camera to a tripod and set off to bracket several scenes with seven exposures ranging from +2 over to -3 under (approx).  This type of range worked for the scene to capture what I needed to represent the forest.  Of course many feel this is not enough and some may say way too many.  That's not really the point for me - I got a fun image and it was a nice experience.  The real artistry comes in how you manipulate the HDR blended bracket to set the realism to the level you like.  The first image has a soft real look and the one below has a harder feel to me.



An example of the vast exposure difference needed in this scene is shown by the jpegs below.  



I feel none of the jpegs quite get the full feel of the image like the blended frame does.

As I walked around the park the light was soft and muted most of the time - but the white clouds above made it tough to shoot upwards and show the true majestic feel of the great trees.


I thought this root sure had a prehistoric bird look to me.

When in doubt of the impact of color - go to the truest colors - black and white.

After the woods it was time to take off up US 1 and check out some other scenery.  Unfortunately there was an abundance of fog and my shots of the ocean cliffs just don't quite have the look I wanted since the ocean is right out there.
There was a quick stop by at Drake's Bay to see the oyster farm. 
On the edge of the beach it was a quick change of focus point to influence the scene.


Some buzzards were working on a seal (?).


The layers in this image are just as they were.

Next stop - up to Napa to take in some wine time!
 
I am an employee of FUJIFILM North America Corporation.
The statements, comments and opinions expressed here represent my own, personal views and are not endorsed by, or affiliated in any way with, FUJIFILM North America Corporation or its affiliates.
bremler@fujifilm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Quick Look at the 1972 Hasselblad 500C/M

Just a few snaps of the awesome and durable 500C/M.