Friday, July 27, 2012

Shooting a Polo Match is Great Fun

For many of us - the act of shooting an event we are interested in can be an enjoyable zen moment.  I love to lose myself in the action and work my gear to capture good images.
When I broke out the EF500mm lens I knew I could blast away and if the light and my positioning was right, I may just get some winners.
I've never shot polo, and it's a huge field as you can imagine.  I think I got a few interesting shots considering the slower aperture of F4.5 on my 500mm lens.


I love the action exhibited by the athletes and horses.  I can only imagine what a thrill it must be to race on the back of a horse or bump other players chasing the ball in polo.
A few of the shots are of Sunny Hale (#4 white) who is widely considered to be the best female polo player in the world and one of the best players ever.

There is a nice article about her which explains the sport a bit more here - http://espn.go.com/espnw/features-profiles/6478924/sunny-hale-rules-game-queens

Get up to Saratoga Springs to see the races before they're over this summer - it's a great place to visit.


Sabering the champagne !


 A reverse side hit from Sunny Hale.


Blasting off a few burst series.  These are half of the total frames - it's just too easy with today's fast AF and fps speeds.











Stomping the divots is a popular event in between the chukkers!




No comments:

Post a Comment

A Quick Look at the 1972 Hasselblad 500C/M

Just a few snaps of the awesome and durable 500C/M.